I recently had to prepare a submission to a journal that required Tables to be in a separate document. When preparing my manuscripts, I put tables at the end of the manuscript body. I use captions and cross-references to automatically number tables and figures.
However, the automatic numbering does not work when you put the tables in a separate document. I was also concerned that my cross-references (e.g., text like “see Table 1”) would become corrupted when I removed the tables that such cross-references refer to.
A basic solution is to convert all the cross-references to standard text.
On Mac, the shortcut to do this is
It helps if in the preferences field shading is activated.
So it is just a matter of searching for “Table ” pressing cmd+shift+F9 and then activating “find next” (i.e.,
Cmd+Page Down on OSX). Another option for navigating is pressing F11 to navigate to the next field (Shift + F11 to navigate to the previous).
An alternative option would be to lock the field using
Cmd+F11. This has the benefit of not permanently removing the field codes, but it makes me a little more nervous that something might go wrong in journal production process.
To state the obvious, once the field codes have been updated:
- Close the file
- Copy the file and rename one version “body” and the other version “tables”.
- Delete the tables from the body and the body from the tables.